[awips2-users] "CAVE Only"

A few questions for anyone out there:

First off, anyone using this at home? Is there even any intention that this
great, now open source software be used by hobbyists outside of a .edu/.gov
environment? Any plans/infrastructure/servers coming down the line to make
that easier?

I'm unable to display color filled maps of gridded data, anyone else having
this issue?

I'm using this at my house so I may be in a very unique situation compared
to some, I simply have the "CAVE client only" installation. I'm thinking
maybe I'm not getting the proper data files to produce color filled images,
etc.

Also, in real AWIPS at NWS offices and in the old emulators like FX Net,
you can change the line weights for each contoured field in a plot
individually. This does not seem possible in the current CAVE environment,
unless I'm missing something? You used to be able to right click a field
and call up those options.

It is my understanding from the instructions that, as an 'average Joe' user
at home, I should really be configuring my own EDEX server, installing and
running LDM, etc, is this true?

If so, are there any plans for a common EDEX server that anyone (not just
.edu, .gov, etc) will be able to pull from in the future? I attempted to
get EDEX running but Im not having much luck at home, details of that
beyond the scope of this question.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help/insight. As you can
tell, I dont have the most advanced understanding of the under the hood
stuff and Id hope to see a bit more clear/user friendly instructions on how
to best get this running in an "at home environment". Whats out there does
not seem to address whether that is even really an intended use for this
open source software.

Thanks Again!
  • Search the awips2-users archives: