Re: [awips2-users] AWIPS2 CAVE in VirtualBox

Brian,

I’ve successfully installed AWIPS II CAVE on a Virtualbox VM running CentOS 6.5
on a Windows 8.1 laptop (Lenovo Core i5, 4 GB RAM, basic integrated intel
video), Windows 8.1 desktop (ASUS Core i7, 8GB RAM, basic integrated intel
video), and a Macbook Pro (Core i7 2.2 Ghz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Video w/1.5gb
dedicated VRAM).  Although CAVE will start up, it almost always crashes as soon
as any actions (i.e. clicking on menus or buttons) are attempted.  I obtained
better results on the MacBook Pro, however, I still encountered a variety of
memory related problems.  When running CentOS 6.5 as the dedicated OS (i.e.
dual booting) on both the Lenovo Laptop and ASUS Desktop, however, these
problems disappeared.

The memory issues encountered when running AWIPS II CAVE on virtual machines is
most likely related to video, i.e. the amount of memory dedicated to the video
card and how it’s allocated. There are many benefits to using a virtual machine
platform, but they appear ill-suited for running graphics-intensive software on
typical consumer PC hardware as a result of sharing video memory with the host
OS and, perhaps, an inability to access video hardware acceleration.

After many hours attempting to get AWIPS II to run smoothly on a VM (and a fair
amount of frustration), using a dedicated CentOS install (i.e. dual booting)
may be your best option for a practical/stable installation.  Maybe others have
had a different experience, though?

-Brandon Vincent