Re: [cf-satellite] Fwd: Calibration Look Up tables

Tim Schmit wrote:
Hi,

As there are more and more bits per pixel (MODIS-=12) and at least some ABI bands will be 14 bits, I think the LUT approach makes less sense.

Although the LUT approach would generalize linear and non-linear calibration
with the same construct, the tables would get pretty large - 16bit not too bad, but the next size up is 32 ( can NetCDF have types in between ?). LUTs should perhaps be recognized if they are present, but not required considering Tim's
point, and that there's quite a bit of data already where the conversion is
linear.

Why not include a few conversion coefficients (and the equations)?

Linear (scale/offset) is well understood, I guess there'd have to be way to represent/parse
and apply equations in general.

As was stated, the conversion from scaled integers to say radiance is often linear.

I can add that this is the case for MODIS.

The conversion from radiance to Planck is a few constants (how many depend on the implementation method). For example, does one use central wavenumber and 2 band correction values, or use the same band correction values with 2 other constants (FK1, FK2).

Tim

Tom Whittaker wrote:

tom