Re: [cf-satellite] cf-satellite prototype beta

Martin --

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 1:25 AM, Martin Raspaud <martin.raspaud@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> One question though: how would you save bands with different resolutions
> (modis,
> or meteosat for example) ?
> Different files ?

I am also responding to the list, since this question has been
discussed here as well -- although not for separate platforms, but for
bands from one satellite that might have different dimensions (for
example, on GOES for the visible and IR bands).  There are two options
we thought would work most easily for application develoopers --

1. separate files (I would think this would be most appropriate for
separate satellites)
2. another set of dimension and coordinate variables -- there is
nothing in the NetCDF library that would prevent you from having, for
example,

dimensions:
   x=100;
   x2=200;
   y=100;
   y2=200;
   band=3;
   band2=7;

and then use the appropriate combination of these as needed.

   int data(band,y,x);
     data:coordinates="band lon lat"

   int data2(band2,y2,x2);
     data2:coordinates="band2 lon2 lat2";