Re: [cf-satellite] Telemetry measurements as coordinate variables?

Hi Jim, (John,) et. al.,

The CF guide seems to be (unfortunately) vague on the subject of whether missing values should be permitted in auxiliary coordinate variables. As a starting position I think "no" is the correct answer -- missing values should not be present in the coordinate system, itself. To do so corrupts the integrity of the coordinate system.

Can you suggest a counter-example for satellite data? When the coordinates become time-dependent (as in the case of satellite swaths) and instrument failures occur, one could imagine situations where the coordinates might indeed become missing. Though that seems like a pathological example -- one where the dataset essentially has a void, and there might be better ways to represent it.

    - Steve