Re: [cf-satellite] Proposal for band dimension and coordinate variable

  • To: Jim Biard <Jim.Biard@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [cf-satellite] Proposal for band dimension and coordinate variable
  • From: Tom Whittaker <whittaker@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 14:02:38 -0500
Hi Jim...

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Jim Biard <Jim.Biard@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is this just too far out?

Far out, man!!  ;-)

Seriously, though, I don't see the need for such a device ("...make
the "band" coordinate variable an array of label strings...").  Based
on what Tom Rink and John Caron have said, it looks like defining a
"coordinate axis type" using a few select concepts is the best
approach.  We'll see what John as to say about the notion of a simple
index being used as a coordinate variable...and go from there...

tom

--
Tom Whittaker
University of Wisconsin-Madison