Re: [cf-satellite] Longitude Problems in NetCDF Files

This was brought up in the netcdf mail list,  and there were quite a few
likes data (-180, 180),  not (0, 360).  I don't know if they have fixed it,
but they also used to have trouble with latitudes going south to north,  they
just assumed north to south without reading the file.

My guess is you are getting a valid CF netcdf file (well except for the use of
Groups).  The limits of ArcGIS  (and GDAL) aren't really NASA's problem.  If
you have the netcdf library,  do:

ncdump -h  filename

on one of your files and post that.

-Roy

> On Jun 13, 2017, at 10:09 AM, Paul Moth <paul.moth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> My name is Paul and I work at the National Snow and Ice Data Center. We
> recently received some test swath data from NASA in .nc format. When I open
> the data in Panoply and HDFView, it displays fine. However, when using
> ArcGIS, QGIS, and GDAL, we are having trouble with the longitude. The data
> are displaying exactly 180 degree difference from where it should be even
> though the metadata in Panoply and HDFView are correct. It appears ArcGIS,
> QGIS, and GDAL are using a 0 to 360 degree scale, rather than -180 to 180,
> and starts the longitude at the International Date Line. Thus, when the files
> are read by these tools, they are displayed incorrectly.
>
> Have you seen anything like this in the past? The data providers are claiming
> it’s the software and not the data but I would like to get your opinion.
> Unfortunately, the files are rather large so I cannot email but have attached
> a screenshot. The .nc file should be over Japan but appears over the Atlantic.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Moth
> User Services Office
> National Snow and Ice Data Center
> University of Colorado at Boulder
>
> <Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 10.43.06
> AM.png>_______________________________________________
> do not want to be made public.
>

> cf-satellite mailing list
> cf-satellite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst