Re: [galeon] Telecon Friday

Hi all,

it was a fruitful discussion today, I enjoyed very much being part of it.

Attached a recent version of the classification document I mentioned in the telecon. I'd appreciate your comments on that, as it will be a guideline at least internally for our further roadmap.

Disclaimer: this is work in progress, and does not constitute an official statement or opinion of OGC nor WCS.SWG. It represents my personal view which is not necessarily shared by others.
I appreciate not passing on this material beyond GALEON, not even in parts.

George has raised a critical issue: we need to look at clients just as much as on servers. By just adding further optional features to servers we allow much degree of freedom for server implementation, for which client implementors have to pay: essentially, in WCS 1.0.0 and 1.1.x a client needs to be prepared to face any of the options, that is: for a client these are not options. The core/extension model will allow clients to state their compatibility expressly, like "client X can interface to x/y coverages, but not to x/y/z offerings" [a better answer to George's question than the one I gave in the telecon]. One of the many reasons why I like it...

cheers,
Peter

Ben Domenico wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to have a GALEON telecon this week and Friday looks like the best day. I'm aiming for Friday January 4 at 9:00 Boulder time which is 17:00 Vatican City time. The main goal of the teleconference will be to work out our liaison with the OGC WCS revision working group ( WCS.RWG). Peter Baumann has made an excellent suggestion that we work with the WCS.RWG to schedule a monthly session for GALEON-related topics during their telecon. As a goal for the new year, I'd like to try to make this work -- starting with this telecon.

A related topic is a status update for the GALEON group working on the incremental WCSplus approach to actual implementations of, and experimentation with, the next version of WCS.

Finally it would be good to come up with ideas and suggestions for how GALEON participants can take advantage of opportunities to meet and interact in person at

-- the next OGC TC in St. Louis March 24 - 27 http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/0803tc -- the EGU in Vienna April 13 - 18 http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2008/

After the New Year holiday, I'll send out invitations with more detailed information about the telecon, but I wanted to provide this "heads up" now.

Best wishes for a very happy and exceedingly interoperable 2008.