From: galeon-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:galeon-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gerry Creager
Sent: March 13, 2008 10:03 AM
To: Unidata GALEON
Subject: Re: [galeon] Fwd: CDM feature and point types docs

Ron, et al,

Ah, but then it becomes a science-discipline semantics issue, too.

I do think in terms of making "point" observations of in-situ weather
data.  The observation is made at a fixed location, at a particular
finite time, and its geometric property is not a bounded region or
polygon, but a point.  Realizing there are gaps in this (wind is
measured at 10m above ground, temperature, humidity, pressure at 2
meters, precipitation at 1 meter, direct and diffuse solar radiation at
nominally 2m but may vary, etc) the data are represented to end-users as
being at a single spatial point.  Think of it as semantic collision
rather than assimilation.

And, while I don't think I'm completely clueless, I've spoken at the
TCs, and mentioned to you in the past, about "point features" in my use
of WFS to represent observations, without discussion.

gerry