From: galeon-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:galeon-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gerry Creager
Sent: Friday, 14 March 2008 2:03 AM
To: Unidata GALEON
Subject: Re: [galeon] Fwd: CDM feature and point types docs

Ron, et al,

Ah, but then it becomes a science-discipline semantics issue, too.

I do think in terms of making "point" observations of in-situ weather data.
The observation is made at a fixed location, at a particular finite time, and its
geometric property is not a bounded region or polygon, but a point.  Realizing there are
gaps in this (wind is measured at 10m above ground, temperature, humidity, pressure at 2
meters, precipitation at 1 meter, direct and diffuse solar radiation at nominally 2m but
may vary, etc) the data are represented to end-users as being at a single spatial point.
Think of it as semantic collision rather than assimilation.

And, while I don't think I'm completely clueless, I've spoken at the TCs, and mentioned
to you in the past, about "point features" in my use of WFS to represent
observations, without discussion.

gerry