[galeon] WCS null value intervals?

Andrea & all-

in an attempt to address currently open items let me come back to the issue raised by Andrea Aime / Steven Keens:

Q: should we allow, in WCS 1.2, that null values are identified not only by a value or a list of values, but additionally by intervals?

Examples:
   myIntNullValues = { -65534, [-1 ... +1] }
   myFloatNullValues =  { 0, [2.71 ... 3.14], [0.999 ... 1.001] }

Background:
- Currently (WCS 1.1.2) allows zero or more null values in wcsDescribeCoverage.xsd:
   0..* ows:CodeType
- in WCS 1.0.0 null values were described by (values.xsd):
0|1 valueEnumType ("Enumeration of TBD values which consists of a sequence of intervals and/or single values.") I think I remember we gave up at some time when there was no light at the end of the complexity tunnel, such as in dealing with open/closed boundaries (which are present, but not defined 1.0.0).

Arguments:
pro: was possible in WCS 1.0.0, we shouldn' reduce functionality nor backwards compatbility (and 1.0.0 is important for a significant user group) pro: especially when dealing with floating point numbers it is unstable to use specific values and use "==". Intervals allow for a numerically appropriate handling. con: adds complexity to a server implementation, and potentially to a client which attempts to seriously deal with null values. (Of course it is up to a service to make use of null intervals.)
con: some semantic details seemingly waiting for clarification.

Q to WCS implementors (in particular: GALEON):
1) do you see a need for intervals in your community?
2) would you see null intervals as a severe implementation burden?

thanks,
Peter

--
Dr. Peter Baumann