[galeon] OGC Technical Committee Meeting Highlights: Unidata perspective

Hello,

_From the Unidata point of view, these are a few highlights of last weeks OGC
Technical Committee meeting in St. Louis.  I'll ask other GALEON participants
who attended the meetings to follow up with their impressions of the meetings
as well.

We made joint presentations with the NNEW Project during the Earth Observations
/ Natural Resources Environment, Coverages Working Group Sessions.

https://wiki.ucar.edu/display/NNEWD/NNEW+Dissemination+home+page

These focused on aviation related use cases which emphasize characteristics of
data systems that are special to atmospheric and related sciences, e.g.,

  - Real-time access
  - Elevation/altitude dimension is important
  - Elevation dimension often given in terms of pressure
  - Range interpolation depends on physics as well as geometry
  - Automated processing components, e.g.,
   - Gridding/assimilation
     - Forecast models
     - Transformations between pressure and height

Note also that the Sensor Web Enablement
(SWE)<http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/groups/sensorweb>suite of
protocols seems to be gaining considerable practical, implementation and
experimentation momentum.  UCAR is a sponsor of the Oceans Interoperability
Experiment which is heavily oriented toware SWE protocols and technologies, and it
may be worth considering more carefully how this work fits in with GALEON.

I'll let you know when the meeting materials are made public on the OGC web
site.