Re: [galeon] WCS and MIME types

Hi Ethan,

thanks for support.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 3:56 AM, Ethan Davis <edavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does WCS (or other OGC specs) require registered mime types?

I don't think so. The WMS standard states nothing more than "A list of
MIME types in common use on the internet is maintained by the Internet
Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)."  I assume using unregisterd MIME
type can never violate WMS or WCS.

Finally, who is reading these parameters/profiles? One use case is the WCS
client server negotiation. Are there any other use cases at the moment?

The main one that comes to mind is web browsers being handed netCDF
files (not necessarily from WCS) and wanting to hand them to a helper
application. Which is potentially a very important use case. And brings
us back to Eizi's comments about mime type parameters.

Yes, I was thinking about this use case.

Not all netcdf is in CF. Some other Conventions come from very
different discipline (such as molecular dynamics or mechanical
engineering), and those data cannot be properly handled by a single
helper application.