Re: [galeon] WCS and MIME types

Hi all,

Hmm, there are a few choices here, all with pros and cons.  One could
argue that "netcdf" is the file format and anything to do with CF
could be a parameter (e.g. "netcdf;conventions=cf1.1").  This cleanly
separates file format from convention.  However, "geotiff" is regarded
as a file format in its own right, even though it could be regarded as
TIFF + geo conventions.  This would argue for "cf-netcdf" as the MIME
type. Thirdly, since CF is closely tied to NetCDF it could be argued
that CF implies NetCDF, meaning that "cf" in itself could be a valid
file type, but this isn't typical community usage.

I think this is the distinction for me, there is no such thing as a .cf file
format whereas  you can have a ".xhtml" file.

This is true.  But there's no reason why there should not be a .cf
file type (or equivalent).  In fact I think this might be rather
helpful - but that's probably another discussion.  Many systems
(especially web servers and browsers) map file extensions directly to
MIME types and helper applications.

Jon