Re: [galeon] GALEON-related OGC Coverages Discussions

Roy,

Thanks for the thought provoking reply.  Just one quick point of clarification -- from my point of view.  I didn't mean to
imply that we should try to harmonize all the various protocols and specifications.  What I was trying to get across is
that we should lay it all out on the table and assess what each has to offer for dealing with the sort of data collections
our community has to offer.  It may end up that we need some of each, but my own tendency is to clarify our own CF-netCDF
world for the CDM data types see where the result of that exercise fits into the OGC world.   At the moment -- for me
anyway -- the OGC documents that have the clearest conceptual description of what we deal with is the Observations and
Measurements of the Sensor Web Enablement suite.   The word feature is overused there for sure, but at least there is a
distinction drawn between the "feature of interest" and "sampling features."  And there is a special
place for most of our collections as that very special class of feature called a "coverage."   The ideas in the
two O & M documents really help me make sense of the feature/coverage issues.  And the focus is very much on the user
view of the "patient" rather than on the monitoring devices.

But I digress from the main point that we don't necessarily have to harmonize
all the protocols for our datasets.  Maybe we just pick one and make sure it
evolves to fit our needs.

-- Ben

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Roy Mendelssohn