Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

Hi all,

this discussion is very valuable to the WCS group, it certainly will impact our discussions.

John Caron wrote:
There is still a hope that core + say, geotiff would be a good LCD (lowest
common denominator) to strive for

Interesting; actually one argument for us to avoid any format encoding in the core was that other communities should not be bothered with formats they are not interested in. Good to know that you folks like Geotiff :-)

Still, however, there is further communities. In future WCS is intended to cover all the spatiotemporal dimensions equally, which includes any subset of the xyzt axes. In particular: "time-only" coverages will be supported, particularly having in mind the SWE community. (On a side note, there will be a dedicated harmonization meeting at the next TC meeting in Valencia where SWE's O&M and the WCS coverage model will talk to each other, among others.)

Now environmental sensoring people might implement a WCS supporting 1-D time series which never will offer 2-D coverages; IMHO we should not force them into supporting Geotiff. Notably this is not only about plugging in open-source libtiff. It concerns coordinate conversion, interpolation, etc - in short: a hell of a lot of work, in their case just for nothing.

Bottom line, we could not find any format which all communities uniformly are interested in, so we factored it out.

-Peter