Re: [galeon] Features and Coverages

Hi Ben & Jon & all,

interesting to notice that your community requires coverage types beyond
what's listed in ISO 19123. This nicely coincides with the general
feeling that ISO 19123 (== OGC Abstract Spec Topic 6) deserves an update
- we might bring in your types on that occasion.

The best way for this probably would be if someone wrote a change
request to add a section about this your new coverage type. The WCS
group certainly is more than open to have a close look at such a
description.

-Peter

Ben Domenico wrote:
Hi Jon,

Feature/coverage is a distinction I've struggled with for some time.
 George has pointed to one of the documents that I have found most
helpful in terms of a general conceptual definition of a coverage --
the ISO 19123 document which is also an OGC spec as George points out.
http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=19820

 It defines things from a mathematical point of view in terms of what
I used to think of as the independent variables (domain) and dependent
variables (range).  One area where ISO 19123 is a bit weak from the
metoceans perspective is that it has a limited view of "continuous"
coverages.  Where metoceans models the continuous function space in
terms of the equations of fluid dynamics, ISO 19123 does so in terms
of strictly geometric equations.  Nevertheless the defining concepts
are very valuable and the discrete coverage concepts map well into our
metoceans data collections.

Others may disagree with me on this, but the other documents I find
helpful in understanding these feature/coverage concepts are those of
OGC Observations and Measurements.
http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/om

In particular they define "features of interest," examples of which
might be the Indian Ocean or the atmosphere above London.  This sort
of feature fits will into metoceans community which models such
entities in terms of functions governed by the equations of fluid
dynamics.   Moreover, many of our observational data collections and
forecast model outputs are really just samplings of the value of those
functions at discrete points in space and time.  O & M uses the
concept of "sampling features" for that sort of dataset.  For me the
sampling feature is very helpful for developing an understanding from
the user point of view.  The sampling features are generally
categorized by dimensionality: point (a station observation), curve (a
vertical sounding), surface (satellite image), solid (forecast model
output).

One other useful element of the O & M framework is that it explicitly
deals with collections of data.   For example a collection of
measurements and sounding profiles from observing stations can itself
be considered a sampling feature.  And such a collection  is a
sampling feature that fits into the coverage category just as the
satellite image and forecast model output do.  So such collections are
considered coverages even though the spatiotemporal points are not
regularly spaced. In the case of observing stations, the locations
have to be specified in a table rather than by an algorithm. In the
case of observations from ground-based radars, the locations are
defined by a table of stations and an algorithm describing the
scanning geometry.  Many of our metoceans datasets are just such
collections.  But the key point is that, in the world of ISO 19123 and
OGC O & M, these data collections are indeed coverages.

Enough for now, but these documents are relatively easy to read and
are very helpful at the conceptual level.