Re: [galeon] Features and Coverages

Hi Steve,,

To amplify Ben's point,

'feature of interest'  = the feature which is of interest to the
particular data user

So in your example, I would expect the feature of interest not to be a
geographical region at all, but the mooring itself, which has a property
of location - agreed, it's quite an important property! - or if
instrumentation is deployed at the mooring, the feature of interest is
likely to be the ocean in the region of the mooring, which will be
realised in some concrete way depending of the characteristics of the
instrumentation and the requirements of the data user.

For the specific issue of how to assign a location to a feature, again
this is down to the the requirements of the data user. However, I'd
argue that it doesn't particularly matter, as long as:
(a) it captures the location to the level of precision required by the
data user,
(b) the relationships to other location descriptions exist and can be
traversed to answer more general location queries.

For practical reasons, you might choose to hold a hierarchy of locations
as properties of a a feature, but it would be more effective to offload
these to a Gazetteer / vocabulary server.

Apologies, if I've missed the point here...which is quite possible.

Regards,
Bruce