Re: [galeon] Features and Coverages

Hi John,

I don't the the exchange boils down to "simple versus complex"
standards.  As I've said in other emails, it boils down to return on
investment.  Sure, KML is a lousy format for most real data but it's
great for geobrowsing (which is what it's designed for).  The point is
that we shouldn't need to have to adopt a huge new infrastructure to
fulfil simple requirements (and there's nothing to stop you using
linking your KML to your more complex system for those users who want
to drill down.  Revealing complexity gradually is a Good Thing).

I don't know anything about SOS but it seems to fill a gap in the
market, which is great.  It means that any progress in this area is
likely to be fruitful.  However, the case of WCS is different because
we already have two very well-established means for sharing gridded
CF-NetCDF data that are robust and backed up with tools:

1) OPeNDAP
2) Simply putting CF-NetCDF files on a website (I'm not being
flippant, a large number of customers don't need any more than this)

So we need to be very clear about what wins we get from WCS that we
can't get already.

Jon