Re: [galeon] The GALEON wiki and Use Cases

Hi Jon:

I will follow bad internet etiquette and not bottom post, and I think I agree with a lot of what you said except for the fact of whether scientists want the original files. Let me give an example. Our high resolution satellite day might have a global file for each day. I want a time series of that data for a small region off of California. You know what, I actually do not what to download the several thousand files taking up many gigabytes to get that data. It would be nice if I could get just that region for my time period in a single file. You can do this with THREDDS/OPeNDAP, and that is the use case we see most. Or think of the lagrangean case I mentioned with animal tags where the tags only have position and the scientist wants an environment variable along that track. Again, they do not want to have to download all of the files to get that small amount of data. The ability to subset the data before the download, and as discussed at GO-ESSP sometimes perform server-side functions ( eg give me a time series of the integrated heat in the upper 150m over a region), which is then the "data" that I will be using over and over again in the analysis.

When we start to include these type of uses into our use cases, then we need to rethink our services. There is also one other point, one I made to Ben privately. The use cases all assume that the user in the use case will actually be willing to use your service. Our experience is that if you are not delivering data in the form and the in the way that they think about and use data, they will go elsewhere for the data. It may not be the "Right Way" as decreed from above, but you ignore your users at your own peril.

-Roy