[galeon] Possible ESSI sessions at the AGU Spring Joint Assembly

Hi, all,

The 2009 Joint Assembly is being held 24- 2009 at the Toronto Convention
Centre.  It may still be possible to submit additional ESSI sessions (so far
there is only one proposed in addition to the General ESSI session.)  If there
is sufficient interest, I think it would make sense to convene another session
on Standards-Based Interoperability Among Tools and Data Services in the Earth
Sciences

If you'd be interested in participating in such a session -- either as a
presenter or even as a co-convener, please let me know.  We'll need to make a
decision about this by the end of this week.  I've appended the session
description we've used in the past.

Of course we could try to work in other ESSI sessions as well if you'd like to
convene one.

The Joint Assembly web page is at:
http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja09/

Please respond soon if you are interested in any aspect of this.

-- Ben

Several groups continue development of interoperable data access, analysis and
display systems based on evolving international standards, such as the protocol
specifications of the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) and ISO.  There is a
concerted effort to develop demonstrations of the resulting interoperability
technologies. Examples of such efforts are Geo-interface to Atmosphere, Land,
Enviroment, Ocean, netCDF (GALEON), the Ocean Sciences Interoperability
Experiment, and GEOSS Web Services Network (GWS). These initiatives are
facilitating standards-based access to multi-dimensional Fluid Earth Science
(mainly the atmospheric and ocean sciences) datasets by employing and
influencing the evolution of the emerging standards such as Web Coverage
Service (WCS, Web Feature Service (WFS), Catalog Services for the Web (CS-W)and
the Sensor Web Enablement (SWE) suite which includes the Sensor Observation
Service (SOS). Presentations and demonstrations for this session are encouraged
for similar interoperability efforts in addition to thos mentioned here. If
possible, there will be a special electronic poster area set up for live,
online demonstrations of these interoperability technologies.