Re: [galeon] [WCS-1.2.swg] Teleconference Agenda - December 10, 2008

Hi Steven et al.,

Following up on an action item for me at the Coverages session at the Valencia
Technical Committee meetings, I'd like to mention two GALEON-related items.

First, we are working on a WCS extension for CF-netCDF encoding.   The GALEON
group made a a few valuable suggestion for augmenting the draft.  encoding spec
that was circulated by Stefano Nativi to the GALEON email list.   Those changes
are being incorporated into the next draft that will be submitted to the SWG.
It also seems the draft should be recast in terms of the encoding extensions
template that is being developed.

Second, the topic of non-gridded coverages came up at both the joint session
with SWE and the Coverages session at the TC meetings.   In GALEON, the issue
of how to deliver non-gridded observational data is an important question.  The
relationship to WCS is not entirely clear, but GALEON 1 showed the value of a
simple WCS use case in which the client defines a 3D bounding box, a time
frame, and a property (temperature, pressure, etc.) and gets back a coverage
encoded in CF-netCDF.  However, with WCS we are currently constrained to
coverages that are gridded at regularly spaced points in some Coordinate
Reference System.  In the GALEON community, this works for some forecast model
output and some geostationary satellite imagery.  A key question facing GALEON
now is how to deliver the wide variety of  collections of observational data
via a similarly straightforward request -- based on OGC and ISO standards.
And specifically, might WCS evolve (perhaps via extensions to the core) so that
it would a viable protocol?

For the true gluttons for punishment among you, I'm attempting to capture some
of these issues related to the collections of non-gridded data in an airport
weather use case at:

http://sites.google.com/site/galeonteam/airport-weather-use-case-and-standards

As you will note, this is a very rough compilation drawn from presentations by
several GALEON team members.  Many standard specifications come into play --
WCS possibly among them.  As time permits, I plan to refine this document into
something more complete and coherent, but I think it captures the salient
issues even in its current form.

-- Ben