Re: 20050510: computer freezes

Do you have dual CPU's or a single CPU on this machine?  Your top output shows
two CPUs.

I have a dual Xeon system that works great when hyperthreading is enabled (top
output shows 4 virtual CPUs) but when a new kernel loaded them without their
"sibling", meaning no hyperthreading (top output shows two CPUs), performance
was severely degraded.  So I "downgraded" to an earlier kernel that would load
them as 4 virtual CPUs, and the machine runs fine.

Also, if this machine is a NFS server, try unmounting all the NFS clients and
see if there is still a problem.

Random freezes could also point to a bad or overheated CPU.

Patrick