making filled areas outside the US

Everybody,

Thanks for your responses. A few more things for all you experts--I think
it's fairly simple, but I can't seem to find the right combo of commands...

1) I have a simple black-background map with white lines for political
borders...I want to fill (colorize) the interior [land] of all of the border
shapes just leaving the water black? Any idea how to do that?

I was able to use commands like the following to fill in, for example, the
great lakes and California, but it doesn't work for other countries?
MAP=3//1
$mapfil = hipowo.cia
BND = great_lakes/4 + state_bnds|<STATE>CA/13

I'd like to do things like make a map of:
- the world with every country filled in solid white, water bodies in black.
- the Caribbean with just Cuba filled in solid white, but other countries
only outlined in white.

2) One other pitfall is that MAP and BND write on TOP the data, but I'd like
it to be below. I saw a reference in the tutorial about doing filled
overlays, but no matter what I changed, nothing seemed to work. Here's the
excerpt from
my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/gempak/tutorial/overlay.html

"When using filled areas as overlays, a COLOR of 0 will prevent the filled
area from blocking out graphics beneath for the value associated with that
COLOR. In many cases you will want to use filled areas as the base image
with other values plotted on top."

Exactly which variable's "color" setting is that referring to? LINE? MAP?
BND? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Chris