20050920: IDD datastream changes

>From: Unidata User Support <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Unidata IDD users:

Content of the FSL2, NNEXRAD, UNIWISC, and NIMAGE datastreams is
changing.

FSL2

begain adding hourly-summary and 6-minute RASS data to the IDD FSL2
datastream in late August.  Information on the RASS can be found in the
following NOAA/Forecast Systems Laboratory webpages:

  NOAA Profiler Network
  http://www.profiler.noaa.gov/npn/aboutNpnProfilers.jsp

  Listen to a 404 MHz RASS Audio Signal
  http://www.profiler.noaa.gov/npn/sounds/rassSound.au

The RASS data is being broadcast in a netCDF that is similar to the
wind profiler data that has been available in the FSL2 datastream for
over a decade.

Support for the RASS data will be added to the existing ldm-mcidas
(proftomd) and GEMPAK (dcncprof) decoders in the October timeframe.

FNEXRAD and UNIWISC

On Sunday, October 1 the NEXRAD Level III and GOES floater products
will be removed from the FNEXRAD and UNIWISC IDD feeds, respectively.
The removal of the floaters is based on guidance provided by
the Unidata Users Committee.  The decision to terminate the floaters
was informed by the lack of community participation in floater
location, and by the small number of comments (3) to a survey asking
the community for input in winter, 2004.

We would like to remind users of these products that they have more
flexible methods for getting the same data:

  GOES floaters

  - users of ADDE-enabled applications (McIDAS and the IDV) can create
    floaters tailored to their own needs especially from the GOESEAST,
    EAST, WEST, GINIEAST, and GINIWEST datasets that are made available on
    several of the Publically Accessible McIDAS ADDE servers listed in
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/adde_servers.html

  FNEXRAD floaters

  - users can request whatever set of NEXRAD stations and products they
    wish from the IDD NNEXRAD datastream

We would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to the folks at
Millersville University of Pennsylvania -- especially Eric Horst --
who have been faithfully managing both the NEXRAD and GOES floater
selection for many years!!

NIMAGE

The following notification regarding sounder image products contained
in the NOAAPORT broadcast and distributed in the IDD NIMAGE feed was
received today:

  FROM:     PAUL HIRSCHBERG
            CHIEF...SCIENCE PLANS BRANCH
            OFFICE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY /OST/

  SUBJECT:  IMPROVED RESOLUTION OF GOES SATELLITE SOUNDER DERIVED
            PRODUCT IMAGERY /DPI/...EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 1 2005

  EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 1 2005: THE NATIONAL ENVIONMENTAL SATELLITE...
  DATA... AND INFORMATION SERVICE /NESDIS/ IS IMPROVING THE
  RESOLUTION OF ITS GOES SATELLITE SOUNDER DERIVED PRODUCT IMAGERY
  /DPI/.  THE CURRENT PRODUCTS USE A 5 BY 5 PIXEL /APPROXIMATELY
  50KM BY 50 KM/ AVERAGE FOR PRODUCT GENERATION. THE IMPROVED
  RESOLUTION WILL BE GENERATED USING 1 BY 1 PIXELS /APPROXIMATELY
  10 KM BY 10KM/. THE ENHANCEMENT WILL TAKE PLACE WITHIN THE
  PRODUCT GENERATION AT NESDIS. THIS WILL NOT IMPACT THE FILE SIZE
  NESDIS SENDS TO CUSTOMERS FOR EACH OF THE SOUNDER DPI. IT WILL
  IMPROVE PRODUCT PRESENTATION. THESE DPI PRODUCTS COME UNDER THE
  BULLETIN HEADERS TIGN16 KNES... TIGN17 KNES... TIGN18 KNES... AND
  TIGN27 KNES.

  FOR NWS AWIPS CUSTOMERS: OPTIONAL ENHANCEMENT CURVES /COLOR
  TABLES/ FOR THESE PRODUCTS DEVELOPED BY THE COOPERATIVE INSTITUTE
  FOR METEOROLOGICAL SATELLITE STUDIES /CIMSS/ ARE SCHEDULED TO BE
  DELIVERED AS PART OF AWIPS RELEASE BUILD OB6. UNTIL OB6 IS
  DEPLOYED... THESE ENHANCEMENT CURVES COULD BE RECREATED LOCALLY
  WITH INFORMATION FOUND AT:

  HTTP://CIMSS.SSEC.WISC.EDU/GOES/VISIT/SOUNDER_ENHANCEMENTS.HTML

  IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS CONCERNING THESE PRODUCTS...PLEASE CONTACT:

          DAVID T. MILLER
          AWIPS DATA MANAGEMENT
          SYSTEMS ENGINEERING CENTER
          OFFICE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
          PHONE: 301 713-1570 EXT 146
          EMAIL: DAVID.T.MILLER@xxxxxxxx

Please send any comments/questions regarding the datastream changes to
Unidata User Support <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas
Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
(303)497-8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support  <