Re: NDFD PFM's

Pat,

    Great Job!

I would like to show you an example of a MOS display that I have developed for my PDA Animated Weather site. The MOS format is very similar to the PFM format. In this display I have tried to eliminate all references to coded entries with actual values. Color coding is used to assist the user in following a forecast across the page. The display is sized for a typical PDA screen.

             http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~russd/pda/mosngmcmh.html

Russell Dengel
Space Science and Engineering Center
University of Wisconsin - Madison

pfranci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

gembuds... ldmbuds... nwsbuds..

In order to introduce PFM's to my intro meteorology students, and as a tool for friends to use in the collegiate forecasting contest, I wrote a small parse routine to separate PFM files as they are ingested, and write them to text files using each respective zone as a filename...

I then created point imaps for general regions of CONUS using the centroid for each zone given in the latest NWS zone shapefile, and overlayed that by states and counties to make it easier for people to choose which PFM they wish to view (i.e. more than one PFM will be available for some counties)...

you may view / use the imaps here:
http://weather.bgsu.edu/pfm/index.php?img=usa

to make a long story short everything seems to be working well, but unfortunately not all zones are being processed.

according to the development status site:
http://www.weather.gov/ndfd/development.htm

it seems that all zones should be represented, but unfortunately it appears that is not the case... for example the three counties I was immediately interested in are Wood County (BGSU), Portage County (Kent State) and Williams county (my home town!) ... however over the last few days no PFM's have come through, and I notice the same for most other states...

So the questions are... all zones NOT being processed? ... I note that Alaska has been stated to not be operational yet, but CONUS is supposed to be... If all zones are not being processed, are there plans to do so? ... In looking at the gribs I could probably automate that on one of my local servers, but that would be redundant if there are plans to do it at the source.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

--pat