Re: GEMPAK for Windows?

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Chris Lander wrote:

I am in the process of setting up GEMPAK.  Before setting up a linux
system I would like to know if there is a version of GEMPAK that can run
in x-Windows, or if anyone has compiled GEMPAK to run in Windows.

Another option is to setup the free VMware "Player" software which will allow you to run Linux for FreeBSD in a window on your Windows desktop. It is not the same as running gempak natively under Windows, but it does give you access to the applications without the hassles of dual-booting. I have some of our faculty workstations setup this way and it works pretty well. I have a complete image of our Linux lab workstations setup to run in the VMware environment. As long as the Windows machine has sufficient RAM it is quite usable.

Mark Tucker
Meteorology Dept. Systems Administrator
Lyndon State College
http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu