Re: [gembud] NIDS file viewing and simple nowcasting

Hi Patrick..

You will very likely get a more robust response from Steve Chiswell or
someone who really knows what they are doing - but in the meantime - I
belive NIDS files should be ready to read by GEMPAK.

Try the gpmap program - set your map=1, garea=dset, proj="",
radfile=maple_cmp_fcst_200708082145_200708082215.mos, dev=xw|test|.6;.6
and run the program.  If it displays it works, if not, you may need to
convert this to a different format or use a differnet gempak program to
plot the data that I am unfamiliar with.

Regarding your second question - there are no tools to take a current
snapshot of the atmosphere in gridded form and "prog" it into the future -
even by simple advection.  GEMPAK is a display tool only - no dynamical or
even simple methods to step a current state of the atmosphere into the
future.

Although - THAT would be cool.  You may want to consider using the
workstation WRF to help with this exercise.  This is a workstation version
of WRF.  See http://strc.comet.ucar.edu/wrf for details on the type of
system required, data inputs, and other info you will need to get off run
the model.

Pete