[gembud] GEMPAK going away in 3-5 years?

I just happened to be reading on the Unidata site about IDV and GEMPAK grids
when I was alarmed to come upon this statement:

"The second pressing issue is the impending transition of NAWIPS/GEMPAK to AWIPS2 in
the next 3-5 years. At this point, it is unknown how that will impact Unidata's GEMPAK
users, but the committee thought that having IDV support GEMPAK data files would be a way
for GEMPAK users to transition to the IDV if they wanted."

We use GEMPAK in an operational fashion in support of our launches, and unless
there are dramatic changes to IDV it just won't meet our.  I know it says it's
unknown how the change to AWIPS2 will affect users..but if someone could give
more info on this I would appreciate.  Both on AWIPS2 and on any thoughts on
Unidata users.

Thanks very much,
Robert Mullenax
CSBF/PSL/NMSU