Re: [gembud] GEMPAK going away in 3-5 years?

Dr Pasken-

Dr Robert Pasken wrote:

On the other hand I have not been impressed with IDV. The conversion of the compiled version of vis5d to the JAVA based IDV has resulted in a huge performance hit.

FYI, the IDV is not a conversion of the Vis5D code to Java although
some of the Vis5D code (e.g. the contour algorithm) was moved to
Java in the VisAD library.  We borrowed ideas from Vis5D in
the IDV development.

Regardless of the hardware or OS release the performance
of IDV is really bad. As an example I have a run from WRF with dimensions of 90x90x41 vis5d will have a streamline field up before IDV has finished loading. There are some interesting features in IDV but ther performance hit isn't worth it.

Are you loading the Vis5D file into the IDV or the WRF staggered
netCDF grid?  There are known issues with using the native
WRF netCDF grids in the IDV which is why we suggest converting
to pressure coordinates through WRF-Post or converting to
Vis5D files.  Could you share a sample file?  Also, which
version of the IDV are you using?  You can answer off the list
if you wish since this isn't GEMPAK related.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm