Re: [gembud] GEMPAK installation woes

I'm trying to install GEMPAK on a Debian x64 system, but have run into a
few problems. I've looked through mailing list archives but couldn't
seem to find the same difficulties.

I first attempted to simply use the binary packages. A number of things
seem to work, including the decoders.

binary packages work fine out of the box... things to do.

1. rtfm

2. ensure Gemenviron has been set properly note:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/GEMPAK/Install_GEMPAK.html

   under: 1. configure your setup

3. if you try to compile, read your logs.. as they indicate gfortran is not installed which
is preferable for chiz's latest release.

to install gfortran on debian, aptitude is preferable to apt-get

aptitude update
aptitude install gfortran

cheers,

--patrick