[gembud] Sfstns.tbl question

I have been Googling, without success, to see whether I could discover
how the six-digit stations IDs in sfstns.tbl are chosen.  Clearly, they
are five-digit WMO station index numbers with a sixth digit added. Does
anybody on this list know how the sixth digit is determined?

Thank you.

_______________________________
Paul H. Harder II, Ph.D., AMS
Meteorologist and Software Developer
Weather Insight, L.P.
www.WeatherInsight.com
Direct: 713-361-4966, Tech Support: 713-361-4985
Weather Insight - Redefining Weather Risk Management

This e-mail is strictly confidential, privileged, and only for the use
of the intended recipients.  Please notify sender immediately if you
have received this in error.  Unauthorized interception of this e-mail
is a violation of federal criminal law.