Re: [gembud] Sfstns.tbl question

Hi Paul-

Harder, Paul wrote:
I have been Googling, without success, to see whether I could discover
how the six-digit stations IDs in sfstns.tbl are chosen.  Clearly, they
are five-digit WMO station index numbers with a sixth digit added. Does
anybody on this list know how the sixth digit is determined?

Many station tables originated from the Air Weather Service Master
Station Catalog (AWSMSC).  The station number is comprised of the
5 digit WMO number, plus a 6th digit describing a little more about
the station.  The documentation is at:

http://stinet.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA264761&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

at the top of page A-3.  0 is used for stations with actual WMO station
ids.

Don Murray
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm