Re: [gembud] GDVINT height interpolation error

Hi Kathryn,

Having had a look at the input GEMPAK file, it appears that it exceeds the maximum # of vertical levels (MAXLVL=65) that gdvint accepts. I would assume that recompiling the gdvint program, with $GEMPAK/source/programs/gd/gdvint/vicmn.cmn edited so that MAXLVL is larger (or use LLMXLV, set to 500 in $GEMPAK/include/GEMPRM.PRM), would be a safe road to take.

--Kevin

Kevin Tyle, Systems Administrator               **********************
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences           ktyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
University at Albany, ES-235                    518-442-4578 (voice)
1400 Washington Avenue                          518-442-5825 (fax)
Albany, NY 12222                                **********************

Kathryn Shontz wrote:
Hello Gembuds-

I have been using gempak files (converted from netcdf using wrf2gem) to plot wind, vorticity, helicity and precipitable water with no problem. For purposes of comparison to other work in the field, I wanted to convert my pressure files to zagl. Not a problem with gdvint it appeared... until I tried to do heights exceeding 8200m. My .gem files were created in pressure coordinates, starting at 1000mb to 200mb with a dP of 10mb. I can make plots of 350mb (~8400m) with the original files but for some reason, gdvint wont let any interpolation happen beyond this point. I tried to make the change in height greater than my initial 100m dZ step, but even at 1000m dZ the outcome was the same... Please see the messages I got below:

Has anyone encountered a similar problem and if so, how was it resolved? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!

Kathryn Shontz
University of California, Los Angeles
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Science
Graduate Student

GEMPAK-GDVINT>l
 GDFILE   = gordon_850wind_0913_12.gem
 GDOUTF   = test200m.gem
 GDATTIM  = 060913/1200f000
 GVCORD   = pres/zagl
 GLEVEL   = 6600-12000-200
 MAXGRD   = 10000
 GAREA    = grid
 VCOORD   = none
 GEMPAK-GDVINT>glev=7000-
12000-500
 GEMPAK-GDVINT>gdoutf=test500.gem
 GEMPAK-GDVINT>r
  Too many input levels, top level reset to  370.
 PRES         found.
 TMPK         found.
 HGHT         found.
 UREL         found.
 VREL         found.
 W            found.
 SPFH         found.
 TMPK         found.
 TMPK         not interpolated to level =  8500
 TMPK         not interpolated to level =  9000
 TMPK         not interpolated to level =  9500
 TMPK         not interpolated to level =  10000
 TMPK         not interpolated to level =  10500
 TMPK         not interpolated to level =  11000
 TMPK         not interpolated to level =  11500
 TMPK         not interpolated to level =  12000
 UREL         not interpolated to level =  8500
 UREL         not interpolated to level =  9000
 UREL         not interpolated to level =  9500
 UREL         not interpolated to level =  10000
 UREL         not interpolated to level =  10500
 UREL         not interpolated to level =  11000
 UREL         not interpolated to level =  11500
 UREL         not interpolated to level =  12000
 VREL         not interpolated to level =  8500
 VREL         not interpolated to level =  9000
 VREL         not interpolated to level =  9500
 VREL         not interpolated to level =  10000
 VREL         not interpolated to level =  10500
 VREL         not interpolated to level =  11000
 VREL         not interpolated to level =  11500
 VREL         not interpolated to level =  12000
 W            not interpolated to level =  8500
 W            not interpolated to level =  9000
 W            not interpolated to level =  9500
 W            not interpolated to level =  10000
 W            not interpolated to level =  10500
 W            not interpolated to level =  11000
 W            not interpolated to level =  11500
 W            not interpolated to level =  12000
 SPFH         not interpolated to level =  8500
 SPFH         not interpolated to level =  9000
 SPFH         not interpolated to level =  9500
 SPFH         not interpolated to level =  10000
 SPFH         not interpolated to level =  10500
 SPFH         not interpolated to level =  11000
 SPFH         not interpolated to level =  11500
 SPFH         not interpolated to level =  12000
  Interpolation is done.  No errors.
 Parameters requested: GDFILE,GDOUTF,GDATTIM,GVCORD,GLEVEL,MAXGRD,GAREA,
 VCOORD.