[gembud] AWIPS II software availability

June 3, 2009

Dear Unidata GEMPAK/NAWIPS users:

In an effort to keep the Unidata community informed about developments surrounding GEMPAK/NAWIPS transition to AWIPS II, we are pleased to inform you that the National Weather Service (NWS) has notified us that Unidata is free to distribute AWIPS II software, including migrated NAWIPS functionality, to its community. As you know from our previous messages, Unidata has been in ongoing discussions with NWS to make AWIPS II software available under an open source licensing arrangement. As Don Berchoff, Director, Office of Science and Technology states in his letter "One of our primary objectives as we move forward is to strengthen our partnership with the university community to enable faster and more effective infusion of new science from research to operations in AWIPS. We look forward to our continued partnership with Unidata to meet this objective." The AWIPS II software, including source code and binaries, will be made available to the public. Current AWIPS and NAWIPS development schedules show that the AWIPS II software will be available at the start of FY 2011. We believe this is an important step forward for the Unidata community.

The Unidata Policy Committee was briefed at its recent meeting by NWS and NCEP staff on the progress of AWIPS II and NAWIPS migration and the committee and UPC staff have begun discussing the next steps for Unidata. The UPC is currently evaluating AWIPS II software and its suitability and resource implications for an eventual deployment in our community. Meanwhile, we are also working with our governing committees to develop plans for migrating GEMPAK users to AWIPS II and IDV.

We take this opportunity to reaffirm our support for GEMPAK until suitable replacements are available. Please be assured of Unidata's commitment to a smooth and orderly transition of GEMPAK users as we continue to work closely with AWIPS II developers at NWS and NCEP in bringing AWIPS II to the Unidata community.

You can find additional information, including previous announcements and FAQ on GEMPAK migration, at: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/nawipsmigration/

We will continue to keep you all updated on our plans and any new developments as they occur. Please feel free to provide input on this process by sending an e-mail to nawipsmigration@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:nawipsmigration@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

Sincerely,

Mohan Ramamurthy, UPC Director (mohan@xxxxxxxx <mailto:mohan@xxxxxxxx>)

Steven Businger, Chair, Unidata Policy Committee (businger@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:businger@xxxxxxxxxx>)

Gary Lackmann, Chair, Unidata Users Committee (gary@xxxxxxxx <mailto:gary@xxxxxxxx>)