Re: [gembud] Interpolating levels in GRIB data

Mark,

GDPOINT can't automatically interpolate between vertical levels.  If you're
interested in RELH at 650mb and only RELH (600, 700) are available, you
would need to do the following:

GFUNC=AVG(RELH@600%PRES,RELH@700%PRES)

All GFUNC functions can be found at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/gempak/manual/apxB_index

NSHARP, is a GEMPAK GUI which displays model soundings at LAT/LON points.
If you don't need to build a script which automatically calculates values at
different heights, you could manually get model soundings using NSHARP which
should give you temp / wind at different levels.

Another option would be to build a script which identifies the geopotential
height at model pressure levels.

IN GFS GEMPAK Grid files:
GFUNC=HGHT

If a pilot needs temp/wind at 5000m, you could identify the two model
pressure levels nearest to 5000m and then interpolate a value using nearest
neighbor or IDW.

You could always look into the IDV which probably does what you need and can
be run using ISL scripts.

Evan

Business Applications Meteorologist
Weather Trends International, Inc.