Re: [gembud] GDRADR Segmentation fault

Hi Jonathan,

You are correct in using GDRADR to create a radar composite.  There are some
good examples of using GDRADR at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/examples/gdradr/
. Instead of trying to create a COMPOSITE image myself, I've found that it's
easier to use the pre-generated radar composite fed through the LDM feed.
This pre-generated data uses GDRADR which saves us a step.  If you don't
have access to this data it can be accessed at:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?decoded/gempak/radar
http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?decoded/gempak/radar_idd

You can use GDPLOT2 (I think) and GDPLOT3 (definitely) to view these images.
You will have to tweak the area and projection to fit your WRF model domain.
I'm not sure of an easy way to do that, brute force trial and error will
eventually get what you need.  In my case, I had to create a composite radar
image of the U.S. which matched exactly to an image generated elsewhere.
After a lot of trial and error tweaking "GAREA and PROJ" I was able to match
them up.  Here's a sample of a simple shell script which generates a U.S.
composite radar image:

-----
#!/bin/csh

source /data/gempak/Gemenviron

  gdplot3 << GDPLOT3_EOF
  GDFILE=/home/ldm/data/gempak/radar/2010011215_rad1.gem
  GDATTIM=100112/1507F000
  GLEVEL=0
  GVCORD=none
  PANEL=0
  SKIP=0
  SCALE=0
  GDPFUN=sge(n0r,15)
  TYPE=z
  CONTUR=0
  CINT=0
  LINE=0
  FINT=15;20;25;30;35;40;45;50;55;60;65;70;75
  FLINE=3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16
  HILO=0
  HLSYM=
  CLRBAR=0
  WIND=
  REFVEC=0
  TITLE=0
  TEXT=
  CLEAR=yes
  GAREA=14.2;-120.3;47.3;-40
  IJSKIP=0
  PROJ=str/90;-96;0
  MAP=0
  MSCALE=
  LATLON=
  DEVICE=gif | /home/ldm/images/current/radar/us_201001121507_radar.gif |
960 ; 720
  STNPLT=
  SATFIL=
  RADFIL=
  IMCBAR=
  LUTFIL=none
  STREAM=
  POSN=
  COLORS=0
  MARKER=
  GRDLBL=
  FILTER=
  BOXLIN=
  REGION=
  TXTCOL=
  TXTFIL=
  TXTLOC=
  COLUMN=
  SHAPE=
  INFO=
  LOCI=
  ANOTLN=
  ANOTYP=

GDPLOT3_EOF
gpend
-----

Hope this helps you out...

Evan

Business Applications Meteorologist
Weather Trends International, Inc.
Phone 610-807-3197
http://www.wxtrends.com

This communication is privileged and may contain confidential information.
It's intended only for the use of the person or entity named above. If you
are not the intended recipient, do not distribute or copy this
communication. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately and return the original to the email address
above. © Copyright 2010 Weather Trends International, Inc.