Re: [gembud] GEMPAK binary builds and revision control

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response to my rant. Unfortunately, this paragraph was difficult to take:

- We have contacted NCEP about providing access to the source code in a
  repository fashion.  Currently, Unidata does not have the rights to
  distribute the software in this fashion.  NCEP requires us to have
  users register to download the software.  If we are able to set up a
  repository access, we will be looking for some experienced community
  members to vet any changes before they are committed to the
  repository.

Where is this restriction included in the source code we download? What exact license is GEMPAK under? If this is correct, any of us downloading users are not permitted to redistribute the source code either? Did NCEP invite some sort of new open source license I am not aware of? Does this NCEP license violate the licenses of any of those packages in extlibs?

If somebody in the community put GEMPAK on Github, we'd get a takedown notice?

daryl