Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 18:23:10 -0700
From: Michael James <mjamesis@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:mjamesis@xxxxxxxxx>>
To: GEMBUD <gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [gembud] GEMPAK for OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

I found a problem, and a solution, for building Open Motif (and
GEMPAK) on OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Firstly, Xcode does not install the command line tools by default
anymore, so they must be installed manually in Xcode Preferences (on
the Downloads tab).

Secondly, ftheader.h (freetype) is not found when running "./configure
--prefix=/opt/local" because the header file is actually at
/opt/local/include/freetype2/freetype/ftheader.h - a bug mentioned
many times online.

Moving the directory "freetype" down one directory to
/opt/local/include/freetype/ (instead of
/opt/local/include/freetype2/freetype/) allows it to be recognized by
the open motif build.

I also tried instead to run "./configure
--prefix=/opt/local/include/freetype2/" instead of "./configure
--prefix=/opt/local/" and it seems to work, but I'm not confident that
this is a fix for first-time installation of the libraries with
macports.

Anyone care to try with 10.8 and let the rest of us know?

Thanks,

Michael