Re: [gembud] Possible bug in ensemble functionality with precipitation

Keith - Worked!  Even using p06i.  Thanks! Pete

From:   Keith Brill - NOAA Federal <keith.brill@xxxxxxxx>
To:     pmanousos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc:     gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   12/10/2012 11:37 AM
Subject:        Re: Possible bug in ensemble functionality with
precipitation

Hi, Pete,

Try summing as follows:  ens_ssum(mul(gt(p03i,0),p03i)).  This will keep
any negative values out of the summation.

Keith

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM, <pmanousos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings.  We believe we may have found a bug when using the cumulative
precipitation functionality with ensemble functions in GEMPAK gridded
programs.

We are wondering if this is a known bug and if not wanted to bring it to
the user communities attention.  Any thoughts welcome.  Details below.

Pete

Reference the Attached Images
Values plotted are scaled ("scale=2") QPF from the 03Z SREF Dec 10 2012
run using gdplot3 for "gdfile = {sref | 03}"

1. 2012121003f24_sref_p03i_ens_ssum.gif
Sum of all 21 members 3h QPF predictions at f24 using
"gdpfun=ens_ssum(p03i)".  Note the values of "339" in near Philadelphia
and "5" near Cincinnati.

2. 2012121003f27_sref_p03i_ens_ssum.gif
Same as #1, but for f27.  Note the values of "171" in near Philadelphia
and "2" near Cincinnati

3. 2012121003f27_sref_p06i_ens_ssum.gif
One would expect a 6hr total of 510 at Phili and 7 at Cinci.  However
using "gdpfun=ens_ssum(p06i)" at f27 yields negative values in Cinci (but
expected values at Phili).

Our concern is that with light precipitation events (especially if
converted via precip type - say like freezing rain) the functionality as
invoked above will yield erroneous results.

Additional Findings and Information
Using GEMPAK 6.4.0 on x64 system running RHEL 6.2
Confirmed error also occurs with GEMPAK 6.2.0 gempak gridded programs
Confirmed error occurs for either a p06i or p06m
Confirmed error occurs for any given SREF run
Confirmed each member being referenced by the ensemble function "ens_ssum"
has valid data at each grid point
Confirmed error does NOT occur when applied to single members (models).
 Example - no such error occurs when "GDFILE = nam | 12" and "gdpfun =
p06i" for any given fhr)
All members were pulled in from NOMADS and processed using NAGRIB2
By the way we were using the "ens_ssum" to verify the wierdo results we
found using ens_savg -- which is how we found this bug

----------------------------------------- The information contained in
this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the
recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the