[gembud] Fwd: NAMSND and BUFR files

  • To: Kevin R Tyle <ktyle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gembud] Fwd: NAMSND and BUFR files
  • From: Arthur A Person <aap1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 16:03:25 -0400 (EDT)
Kevin,

----- Original Message -----

From: "Kevin R Tyle" <ktyle@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: person@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 10:45:09 AM
Subject: NAMSND and BUFR files

Hi all,

Since NCEP transitioned to WCOSS this past July, we are no longer able to
decode GFS BUFR soundings with the GEMPAK program NAMSND. Has anyone been able
to make modifications so that these files can again be read? Curiously, things
still work when processing NAM BUFR soundings.

Art, I’m specifically cc’ing you here, since I believe PSU uses the NAMSND
program to generate output for BufKit sounding files, which look to be produced
using SNLIST.

No, we're not using NAMSND to decode them... we're using an ancient NCEP code
to dump the BUFR files and then an in-house developed decoder.

As far as I know, the GFS BUFKIT files still work.

Yes, it looks like it's still working, and I've had no complaints.

It looks like the blocking/deblocking business has to do with whether the BUFR
file had its records written in a fortran record style with fortran control
words. I'm guessing the files we use are pure unblocked BUFR sounding files
(e.g. from
http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/SL.us008001/ST.opnl/MT.gfs_CY.12/RD.20130930/PT.sndn_DF.buf/)
 and therefore are not affected by the change.

Art

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin Tyle, Systems Administrator

Dept. of Atmospheric & Environmental Sciences

University at Albany

Earth Science 235, 1400 Washington Avenue

Albany, NY 12222

Email: ktyle@xxxxxxxxxx

Phone: 518-442-4578