Re: [gembud] Remapping NEXRAD data for GIS

  • To: "Larry D. Oolman" <ldoolman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gembud] Remapping NEXRAD data for GIS
  • From: daryl herzmann <akrherz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:08:20 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013, Larry D. Oolman wrote:

nex2gini will map level 3 (n0q) data to a GINI satellite image which can be Mercator. This can then be plotted with gpmap by setting proj=sat.

He wants spherical mercator, not just simple lat/lon. To get there, the easiest choice is to use gdalwarp from GDAL.

I am not aware of any program to do the same with level 2.

I am hoping an open souce, high speed version comes soon from a community member I know :)

Is there a GIS tool to import GINI files?

I have written a hack in python to do it, which converts the NOAAport GINI files to GIS ready rasters with world files. The problem is that I had a user tell me that it does not work for the RADAR data in GINI :( Anyway.

https://github.com/akrherz/pyWWA/blob/master/gini2gis.py

daryl

--
/**