From:   Peter C Manousos/FirstEnergy
To:     gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   10/18/2013 11:38 AM
Subject:        Re: [gembud] Degribbing Ukmet Grib1 from tgftp site

Greetings.  After much trial and error over the past few weeks and with
guidance from NCEP (thanks to Brill, Klein, Ebisuzaki, and Iredell) we
were able to develop a method using available tools to pull in the UKMET
grib files, process them with copygb and wgrib, and then pump them through
nagrib to get gempak grids.

Recall that these files can not directly be nagribbed properly (from
ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/ST.opnl/MT.bmoav_CY.CC/RD.YYYYMMDD/PT.grid_DF.bb

).  This is because of the following:

These are thinned gribs (number of x points decreases as you head toward
the poles)
For a given fhr and field and level (like  f12 height 500mb) you get EIGHT
tiles with the SAME name in the SAME grib file.

This implies one must take extra steps for a given fhr, field, and level
to figure out how to recognize the differences between each tile, stitch
them together, and create a contiguous "non thinned" grib field so NAGRIB
can chew on it.

Fun.

So the approach we took to fully automate this process was the following:

Loop through each fhr -- pull data from ftp site
Use wgrib (not wgrib2) to detect what parameters and levels exist in the
pulled grib file
For each parameter/field at the given fhr use wgrib to recognize which
records contain the tile over the globe you wish to stitch
Use copygb to convert and merge (stitch) the thinned grib tiles into an
NCEP grid of your choice
nagrib into a gempak grid
Soak, rinse and repeat

copygb comes with WRF EMS but if you don't have it copygb is available at
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/codes/nwprod/util/sorc/copybg.fd/  (be
sure to read the documentation)

We recommend you manually try out the process and test it gives you what
you think it should before writing a script to automate.

But the pieces are here and it does work.

Pete