Unidata-Wisconsin content upgrade and input on floaters

>From: Unidata User Support <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Unidata-Wisconsin imagery users:

Two items:

1) The contents of the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream have been changed as
   per the announcement of January 5.

   The full set of changes included:

   * the addition of Northern and Southern hemisphere Wildfire ABBA products
     from SSEC/CIMSS

   * an increase in the resolution of GOES-East Water Vapor images from 8 km
     to 4 km

   * the addition of short wavelength IR (3.9 um) images from GOES-East and
     GOES-West

   * the addition of long wavelength IR images from GOES-East (13.3 um) and
     GOES-West (12.0 um)

   * an increase in broadcast frequency from once-per-hour to twice-per-hour
     for the GOES-East and West IR (3.9 um, 6.5/6.8 um, 10.7 um, and
     13.3/12.0 um) and VIS (0.65 um) images

   * the expansion in geographical coverage of the GOES-East images to
     increase South America coverage whenever southern GOES-East scans are
     available

   If you are not currently ingesting/decoding all of the imagery listed
   above, but you would like to be, please contact Unidata User Support
   for assistance.

2) The Unidata Users Committee is seeking your input on cessation
   of floater product inclusion in the UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS) and
   FNEXRAD IDD datastreams.

   The UNIWISC floaters were intended to provide either full resolution
   GOES-East/West VIS imagery or for the short (3.9 um) or long (13.3
   um for GOES-East and 12.0 um for GOES-West) IR imagery.

   The FNEXRAD floaters are a set of Level III products from three
   NEXRADs.  Which NEXRADs are included in the datastream is based on a
   determination of where interesting weather will be found.

   Given the availability of all GOES imagery channels in the UNIWISC
   feed; availability of full resolution NOAAPORT GOES imagery through
   the IDD NIMAGE feed; and ability to remotely access all GOES
   imagery using THREDDS protocols (e.g., McIDAS ADDE), we feel
   that the UNIWISC floater products should no longer needed.

   Given the ability to configure the LDM to request any set of NEXRAD
   Level III products desired, we feel that FNEXRAD floater products
   should no longer needed.

   Our impressions on the value of the floater products are based in
   large part on the extremely low number of floater-positioning
   requests made during the past year.  We are, however, seeking your
   input before retiring these products.

   The constitution of the floater products has been faithfully
   determined by the good folks at Millersville University of
   Pennsylvania acting on behalf of the community at-large for many
   years.  Many thanks to Millersville in general and Eric Horst in
   particular for providing this superb community service!

Please send any comments/questions to Unidata User Support at the
address listed at the end of this message.

Tom Yoksas
Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
(303)497-8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
Unidata WWW Service              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support  <