Re: XML configuration files

Hi Harry-

Harry wrote:
I was trying to customize IDV using the XML files to remove extra options
that aren't need for class room excersises. In particular I was trying to
remove extra options from the 2D & 3D categories in the Fields pane of the
Field Selector window. All I have been able to do up till this point is
change the Derived subcatagory under 2D & 3D. I have not been able to locate
the xml file that directly controls the options.

The list of 2D and 3D categories is generated from the
fields in the dataset.  There is no facility in the IDV for
excluding fields from the data.  Your only options at this
point would be:

- create datasets with only the parameters you want to show
to the user
- if it is a netCDF file, wrap it with an NcML file that
excludes the parameters you don't want to view.  You'd need
to use the remove element to remove those variables.  More
info on NCML is at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/ncml/

Don Murray
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm