Re: z ordering of displays?

Hi Don, thanks for the reply. The View->To Front works great, though I note the action of selecting it resets the time animation back to the first hour, which surprised me somewhat.

I'm still curious as to whether the difference in behaviour is an OS one. I have two machines in my office on the same subnet, so I cannot really believe that data retrieval time can be much different, unless the underlying http implementations of the OSs are markedly different.

The Windows client (Java WS 1.4.2_12, invoking same VM for the IDV app) sticks the 'data' layer at the back, and the Linux client (JWS 1.5.0_05 invoking a 1.4.2_05 VM) puts the data layer at the front. Of course the Java3d packages are different, I'm not sure if this is a factor?

Thanks again for the help.  The use of jnlp and bundles is really nifty.

Stuart Maclean

Currently, the IDV only adds a display when it has data.
Depending on the speed at which your remote data is retrieved,
you may get different ordering.  In the latest releases
(1.3b2 and 2.0RC3), we set dummy data for the satellite and
radar controls to retain the z ordering.  We'll probably
do something similar for all controls in a future release.
For now, the only solution is to use the control's View->To Front
menu to reorder the displays after the bundle is loaded if
they are not correct.

Don Murray
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm