Example NetCDF file without lon,lat that works with IDV

Folks,

Following up on the helpful input from Don & Stuart, I've posted a sample
NetCDF file that has no longitude or latitude variables that is still
readable in IDV (and the NetCDF/Java library):

http://stellwagen.er.usgs.gov/rps/share/example_xy.nc

To create it, I just took a file that Don gave me a while ago and
removed the lon,lat variables to prove that it worked.

A small bundle that shows that IDV can read this file is at:

http://stellwagen.er.usgs.gov/rps/share/example_xy.xidv

NOTE:  This file has another interesting characteristic:  the vertical
coordinate is 4D, varying in both x,y,z and time, so is specified
explicitly.   CF doesn't have a convention for this, but the Unidata
Common Data Model does.  Scroll to the bottom of this page:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/reference/StandardCoordinateTransforms.html

to see the technical specification for "explicit_field", and then look
at the file above to see it in action.

-Rich
--
Dr. Richard P. Signell   (508) 457-2229