Could not create a graphics configuration

Hello,

I downloaded idv_2_2_linux-i386_installer.sh and successfully (or so I
thought?) installed IDV on my linux box.  I was able to start IDV with
"runIDV", but then I exited IDV and tried to re-start it later with
"runIDV" and I got an Initialing Resources box to show up followed by a
Creating User Interface message, but then I got an error "Could not
create a graphics configuration".  I've tried logging out and logging
back in and still no joy?  I tried uninstalling and re-installing IDV
and I haven't been able to start IDV any more since my initial success?

Any idea what's going on?

Here's my uname -a:
Linux devtest 2.6.9-34.Elsmp #1 SMP Fri Feb 24 16:54:53 EST 2006 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Brian Hoeth
NWS Spaceflight Meteorology Group