Re: [idvdevelopers] animal tracking using the IDV

Folks,

I am just returned from "CSIG 2008" the Cyberinfrastructure Summer Institute for Geoscientists (http://www.geongrid.org/CSIG08/), where I presented the GEON IDV and gave a hands-on session.

The question of animal tracking using the IDV came up, in regard to elk in Oregon and bears in Colorado, both of which apparently have available GPS position time series data.

If you have such data feel free to correspond with me about how best to put in
into formats for the IDV and
how best to show it.  If the data includes elevation in the locations, the
tracks can be mapped on 3D topography relief
maps for land animals, or at depth in the ocean. I do not know if there is any suitable data, but the iDV could plot whale or seal dives in 3D.

If I get some good examples I will put sample data, displays, and bundle files on the GEON IDV web site http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/IDV_for_GEON.html.\

Stuart

Hi Maswood,

We also work with GPS tracklog data from migratory birds and turtles.
Check out the GEON IDV project that has done some related work on
vectors from GPS data. There is nothing yet I have seen so far that
reproduce the movies you send with IDV _very_ cool stuff btw.

3)The previous files contains turtle data ? How to visualize that

using IDV ? If it is not possible to see the turtle

track at this moment, how to develop module for that ?

Can you send me some of those files through SendIT so I can play with
some visualization stuff...

Tyn