Re: [idvdevelopers] IDV Improvements in the Area of Publication Quality Graphics

The new labels will be very useful.

Tom's views on making high quality graphics are quite sensible and reflect my experience. Use the IDV to display the data, and use software designed to make high quality presentation graphics to make presentation graphics.

When demonstrating the IDV to new potential users, the striking IDV data displays are impressive, but in my experience, can be misleading. Many people assume the IDV is just to make pretty pictures. Then they wonder where the "publication quality" labels are. I make a point that the real value in the IDV is data exploration. You use the IDV as part of research, to discover results, not merely as a way to present results.

With complex, three-dimensional, time varying data, simply seeing what you have can be tricky. The IDV lets you explore modern complex data with displays which are designed for such data.

The IDV also enables the highly-developed power of human vision and the brain to detect features in complex moving shapes.

Now I use this to describe the use of the IDV - The IDV is for exploration of complex three-dimensional data in geophysics. The IDV is designed to help you discover and understand complex details in your data, and to compare diverse data sets in fully-interactive 3D displays. If you have Earth science data, the IDV is a powerful tool to investigate it.

In modern research there is sometimes a rush to collect data and then to present findings. Careful examination of data can be rewarding. As Louis Agassiz repeatedly told his students of natural history, first you must look at your fish.